After Your Appointment
After you see your doctor(s), you will be given:
- Follow-up appointments
- Orders for laboratory work (blood or urine tests)
- Imaging appointments (X-rays, CT scans, MRI, etc.)
You will be directed to a scheduling station to make your return appointments.
Follow up visits may be scheduled at the end of your clinic visit. If you wish to change, cancel or make an appointment, please call the clinic at (608) 265-1700 or (800) 323-8942. If you need to be seen on an urgent basis you should call the clinic and select the option of speaking to a nurse who will assess your needs and arrange for appropriate care.
You can fill your prescriptions with the Cancer Clinics pharmacist. Our pharmacist is familiar with the medications our physicians prescribe and will have these medications on hand. This pharmacy is affiliated with the other UW Hospital and Clinics pharmacies and accepts most prescription plans.
It is important to be aware of your prescription renewal times. Before you run out of prescription refills, you can renew your prescription by one of two methods:
- Ask your doctor during your already scheduled appointment.
- Telephone your pharmacy, which will contact your doctor for you.
Please contact your pharmacy at least 48 hours in advance of needing the medication. For pre-approved refills (as noted on your prescription bottle) at UW Health pharmacies, you may order online at uwhealth.org/rx or call the Cancer Clinics Pharmacy at (608) 263-7025. For prescriptions that need to be mailed, please allow 4-5 business days for delivery.
The UW Carbone Cancer Center offers a number of support services for our patients and family members:
- Social work including assistance with financial, disability, access and vocational issues.
- Cancer psychology for emotional support.
- Pastoral services for spiritual support.
- Nutrition services, including dietary evaluations.
- Integrative medicine, including referrals to services such as acupuncture.
- Wigs, turbans and scarves for patients. Call (608) 890-7399 for details.
- American Cancer Society navigator, who can provide help with transportation and medical equipment needs for patients and families.
- CareWear, a specialty store that offers products for individuals who have cancer. Call (608) 262-2609 for details.
Being Admitted to the Hospital
Occasionally, people seen at the Cancer Center may require hospitalization on the day they visit the clinic. If you need to stay in the hospital, we will help with getting you admitted. The admission process will be described to you and financial advisors can answer any questions about your insurance coverage.
Clinical trials are research studies conducted to answer specific questions about new ways to prevent, diagnose and treat cancer. You might be offered the option to receive treatment on a clinical trial at our center. For more information on clinical trials at the UW Carbone Cancer Center, contact Cancer Connect at (608) 262-5223 or 1-800-622-8922. Please also ask your physician about appropriate clinical trials.
More about Clinical Trials