Get Involved in Promoting Organ, Tissue and Eye Donation
UW Organ and Tissue Donation in Madison, Wisconsin, offers the following resources in an effort to keep potential donors and their families informed about organ donation.
- March 18: Rhinelander Home Show, 9am-4pm, Rhinelander High School, 665 Coolidge Ave., Rhinelander, WI 54501
- March 22: Teel Plastics Employee Health Fair, 6:30-8am and 2-4pm, 1060 Teel Court, Baraboo, WI 53913
- March 25: "Ballin for Brandon" Basketball Tournament, honoring the gifts of life and hope from organ donor Brandon Jennings. With organ donation education table, 10am-3pm, Holmen High School, 1001 McHugh Rd., Holmen, WI 54636
- April 1: Annual Spring Antique and Craft Fair, organized by Friends of the Museum, with organ donation education table, 9:30am-4pm, American Legion Hall, 916 River Ave., Iron Mountain, MI 49801
- April 2: UW-Madison Science Expedition Campus Open House, noon-4pm, Destination for Exploration event, UW Health Sciences Learning Center, 750 Highland Ave., Madison WI 53705. Community education table about organ, tissue and eye donation and registering as an organ donor.
- April 7: Wisconsin Driver and Traffic Safety Education Association State Conference for driver education instructors, 7:30am-2pm, Chula Vista Resort, 2501 River Rd. Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965
- April 7: Bucky PR "Relay for Life," in collaboration with "Colleges Against Cancer," 6pm-midnight, education table about organ, tissue and eye donation, Camp Randall Sports Center, 1430 Monroe St., Madison, WI 53711
- April 8: Miranda Roellich "Clean Water for Life Earth Month 2017" fundraiser with community donation education table, 8am-4pm. This year, this annual event also honors the gifts of life offered by donor Miranda Roellich, a former employee of Ultimate Spa and Salon. Ultimate Spa and Salon, 2850 Midwest Dr., Onalaska, WI 54650.
- April 8: Fifth Annual Northeast Wisconsin (N.E.W.) "Donate Life" Walk, 8-11am, Bay View Middle School, 1217 Cardinal Lane, Green Bay, WI 54313. This event, including a silent auction, is organized by the Bay View Middle School Student Council. Proceeds raised are donated to Donate Life Wisconsin, a non-profit organization that educates the public about organ, tissue and eye donation and encourages everyone to register as a donor on Wisconsin's Donor Registry. Registration is now open.
- April 11: Viterbo University Community Health Fair, 2pm-6pm, Amie L. Mathy Center, 811 8th St., South, La Crosse, WI 54601
- April 21: William S. Middleton Veterans Hospital Staff Transplant Fair, 1pm-3pm, 2500 Overlook Terrace, Madison, WI 53705
- April 19: Marian University Health Fair, 10am-2pm, 45 S. National Ave., Fond du Lac, WI 54935
- April 22: Third Annual Central Wisconsin Gift of Life Scavenger Hunt, 10am-5pm, The West Wing Room, The Ridges Golf Course, 2311 Griffith Ave., Wisconsin Rapids, WI 54494. Teams of four to six participate in a scavenger hunt from 10am-3pm. Scavenger team members gather for a bucket auction, raffle and meal at 3pm. Proceeds are donated to Restoring Hope Transplant House in Madison and UW Organ and Tissue Donation's Donor Education Fund. Registration form available
- April 29: Recycle Yourself Fun Run/Walk, 10am-2pm, Wildwood Park, 1800 S. Roddis Ave, Marshfield, WI 54449. Organized by Ministry St. Joseph's Hospital Donation Committee. Proceeds will benefit Ministry St. Joseph's families of organ, tissue and eye donors with care bags and support services. Meet Wisconsin's Dottie Donor Dot mascot and stop by the donation education table for information on how to register on Wisconsin's Donor Registry.
- April 29: "Love Rockford Day," Jeremiah Development Churches (specific location to be determined), 10am-2pm, community organ donation education table, Rockford, Ill. A variety of events include the opportunity to be linked with counseling and housing services. Medical volunteers will provide blood pressure checks and hearing and vision tests, get a haircut or receive a manicure, and kids can enjoy face painting or other children's activities. Hungry stomachs will be met with a free lunch and a box of food will be available to take home. Residents will be able to "shop" in the clothing room and bookstore. Bicycles will be repaired and live music will engage the crowds. Those seeking spiritual renewal will have an opportunity to receive prayers and blessings.
- May 6: Eau Claire Marathon Expo and Third Annual Cheri Uelmen Fantastically Fun Kids Run (including a Diaper Dash), honoring donor Cheri Uelmen's gifts of life and hope to others. Expo Hours 10am-4pm; Kids Run takes place in the afternoon, UW-Eau Claire McPhee Center, 509 University Dr., Eau Claire, WI 54701
- May 9: Wisconsin Employee Trust Funds "Well Wisconsin Expo," 9am-2pm, Monona Terrace, 1 John Nolen Dr., Madison, WI 53703
- June 9: Bellin 10K Run Health Fair, donation education booth, 3pm-8pm, Astor Park, 1100 Portier St., Green Bay, WI 54301
- June 11: Fourth Annual "Hit Er' Whiff" Joshua J. Richards Charitable Foundation Golf Outing, 10am-5pm, Mid Vallee Golf Course, 3850 Mid Valley Dr., De Pere, WI 54115. Register for the outing. This event honors Josh, who was tragically killed Dec. 8, 2013, in a senseless act of violence. Josh was a registered organ donor and saved lives through his gifts of hope with seven organs, restored sight for two and enhanced the lives of more than 75 people, including his mother, with his gifts of tissue.