Get Involved in Promoting Organ, Tissue and Eye Donation
UW Organ and Tissue Donation in Madison, Wisconsin, offers the following resources in an effort to keep potential donors and their families informed about organ donation.
- June 17: Wisconsin Conference of United Methodist Churches, 10am-4:30pm, Madison Marriott West, 1313 John Q. Hammons Dr., Middleton, WI 53562.
- June 22: (Closed event) Wisconsin Department of Corrections Employee Health Fair, 10am-1pm; Training Center, 3099 E. Washington Ave, Madison.
- July 1: Mid-Western Rodeo Parade in Manawa. 10am-1pm. Begins at Little Wolf High School, 515 E. 4th St., and ends at the Mid-Western Rodeo Grounds, County Rd. B and River St. Parade entries will be judged in different theme categories: Patriotic, Western, Antique Vehicles (autos and tractors) and Miscellaneous. Awards will be given for 1st ($60), 2nd ($30) and 3rd ($20) places. Horse categories are Team of Horses and Wagon or Riding Clubs awarding $100 for 1st place, $75 for 2nd place, and $50 for 3rd place. The Individual Horse & Rider category will award $60 for 1st place, $30 for 2nd place, and $20 for 3rd place. Parade Entry Form (pdf). Mail entry to address listed on application. Deadline for entries is June 28 - any entry received after the deadline will not be judged.
- July 9: Third Annual Emily C. Lyons Golf Outing, Old Hickory Golf Club, W7596 WI-33, Beaver Dam, WI 53916. Registration starts at 10am. There will be golf, food, beverages, silent auction, music and fun ending at 6pm. All proceeds will be divided between the Emily C. Lyons Scholarship Fund and UW Organ and Tissue Donation's Donor Education Fund.
- July 22: Beer By Bike Brigade Organ Donation Awareness Event in La Crosse. Begins at the International Friendship Gardens at Riverside Park and ends at Pettibone Park, Highway 14/16/61 and Park Plaza. Beer by Bike Brigade is a once-a-month, low-key summer bar hop for responsible and fun-loving adults where each month is dedicated to a different worthy cause. July's awareness event is Organ and Tissue Donation. No sign-ups, no dues, no restrictions. Bring your fun attitude and your bike lights.
- July 29: Cory Adams 5K Run/Walk. Starts at 10am at Pauquette Park, 126 S. Main St., Poynette, WI 53955. The run walk is in honor of Poynette resident Cory Adams, who passed away after a car accident in 2011 and became an organ donor. Proceeds from the event will be split between the Poynette/Dekorra EMS, UW OTD Donor Education Fund, and the Restoring Hope Transplant House.
- July 29: Capital City 5K Run/Walk in Madison. Starts at 6:30pm at on the Capitol Square and ends at Goodman Pool, 325 W. Olin Ave. The event is organized by the National Kidney Foundation of Wisconsin, which benefits recipients, donors and families. The event will run along Lake Monona and end with a pool party at the Goodman Pool. Register or learn more
- Aug. 25: Ted's Trek Glow Run Walk/Run, Dale's Weston Lanes, 5902 Schofield Ave., Weston, WI 54476. The race is from 8:30pm (dusk) until 10pm, followed by live music. The run is in memorial of Ted Gerbig, lung recipient and a co-founder of North Central Wisconsin Donate Life. Register or learn more
- Aug. 27: Arenas Family Tent Event, Palmer's Steakhouse, 122 E. Capitol Dr., Hartland, WI 53029. The Arenas Family is the owner of Palmer’s Steak House in Hartfield. Due to complications with cystic fibrosis, their son Tony received a double lung transplant in 2015. While the family has raised money for cystic fibrosis education since 1986, they also now emphasize the importance of donation and transplantation. There will be a dinner and live auction, with an expected attendance of more than 800.