UW Organ and Tissue Donation Donor Family Services
At UW Organ and Tissue Donation Donor Family Services, we recognize that the death of a loved one changes our lives forever.
Coping with loss is a process that takes time and each person's grief is unique. Our staff is committed to supporting you through our aftercare program. The program includes resources, mailings, phone calls and other support options.
The dedicated staff at UW Organ and Tissue Donation offer many services for organ donor families. They include:
- A donor services coordinator who is dedicated to serving the needs of donor families
- A formal follow-up program that supports donor families for 15 months following donation
- Grief support and resources that support individual donor family needs
Formal Follow-up Program
UW Organ and Tissue Donation has a formal donor family follow-up program that includes contacting each donor family five times during the 15 months following donation.
Donor families are encouraged to post a tribute and photo to their loved one on our online donor tribute page.
Grief Support and Additional Resources
UW Organ and Tissue Donation makes these materials and resources available to support donor families.
- Quick Reference Phone List (pdf)
- Frequently Asked Questions About Organ Donation
- Reaching Out to Recipients
- Recipient Stories
- What is brain death? (pdf)
- What is donation after cardiac death? (pdf)
- Documents You Will Need (pdf)
- Managing the Final Details: A Helpful Checklist (pdf)
- Funeral Planning Guide (pdf)
- Social Security Information (pdf)
- The Grief You May Feel (pdf)
- Talking to Kids about Death (pdf)
- Taking Care of Yourself (pdf)
- Books on Grief
- Resources for Grieving Adults
- Books for Grieving Children and Teens
- Resources for Parents Dealing with the Loss of a Child
- Resources for Children Dealing with Death or Loss