Beef Stew with Butternut Squash
- 1 pound boneless beef chuck roast
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 pound new potatoes, quartered
- 1 pound butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inche pieces (2 ½ cups)
- 2 small onions, cut into wedges
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 14-ounce can low-sodium beef broth
- 1 cup vegetable juice
- 2 tablspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 9-ounce package green beans
- Trim fat from meat. Cut meat into 1-inch pieces. Place flour into a large resealable plastic bag. Add meat pieces, shaking to coat.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Brown meat in hot oil. Drain off fat.
- In slow cooker, combine meat, potatoes, squash, onions and garlic.
- In a large bowl, combine broth, vegetable juice, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, sugar paprika, pepper and allspice. Pour over meat mixture.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 10 to 12 hrs or on high-heat setting for 5 to 6 hours.
- If using low-heat setting, turn to high-heat setting.
- Stir in green beans. Cover and cook for 15 minutes more.
Total Fat: 13 g
Saturated Fat:3 g
Cholesterol: 43 mg
Sodium: 290 mg
Total Carbohydrates: 28 g
Fiber: 4 g
Sugar: 7 g
Protein: 24 g