Are You Eating Heart Healthy Fat Daily?
Your cholesterol can be lowered by using certain types of fat as part of a balanced diet. One example of heart healthy fat is called monounsaturated fat. Sources include olive, peanut, and canola oil; nuts such as almonds, peanuts, pecans, hazelnuts; and peanut butter. This fat should be up to 20% of your total calories for the day, or 20-30 grams per day. Do your best to include these sources on a daily basis.
How can you get 10 grams of monounsaturated fat?
- 1 oz of Hazelnuts, Pecans, Almonds (Other nuts are 3-6 grams/ounce)
- 1 T Olive Oil and Canola Oil (Peanut Oil has 6 grams/T)
- 2 T Peanut Butter
Some tips from Health and Nutrition Education on how to work these fats in:
- Olive oil brushed on toast or added to whole wheat pasta
- Canola oil for high heat cooking methods
- An ounce of almonds (24 pieces) for a great afternoon snack