Our Modules and Services
- PCSS (Patient Classification and Staffing System): Staffing tool for medical/surgical, obstetrics, pediatric, rehab and intensive care units. Incorporates projecting of known events such as admissions, discharges, education, projects, etc. Learn more about the PCSS module
- Emergency Department (ED) Log: Electronic log provides access to data and identifies historical trends by time of day and day of week. Incorporates patient acuity and length of stay for benchmarking. Includes quality indicator reporting on returns to Emergency Department, transfers, AMAs and Emergency Department minutes/hours empty for physician stand-by time and much more. Learn more about the Emergency Department Log
- OPSS (Outpatient Scheduling and Staffing): Daily schedule inclusive of procedure type, projected and actual admissions, length of stay, unplanned admissions, no-shows, cancellations, pre-op teaching and follow-up phone calls. Learn more about the OPSS module
- BHAS (Behavioral Health Acuity and Staffing): Multidisciplinary staffing tool for inpatient behavioral health units. Incorporates projecting of known events such as admissions, discharges, education, projects, etc. Learn more about the BHAS module
Implementation Support/Inter-rater Reliability and Benchmarking
- Tailoring system to your patient population and care philosophy
- On-site training to partner nursing, nursing leadership, quality, finance and administration as a team
- Follow-up consultation services and annual users conference for networking opportunities
- Semi-annual audits completed online in January and July to validate inter-rater reliability
- 28-day in-depth, semi-annual data collection periods for benchmarking which is a valuable performance improvement tool that has the potential to significantly improve efficiency and cost-effectiveness and directly impact the quality of healthcare services
Note: Only organizations that participate in the semi-annual audit competency validation are included in the Benchmarking reports.
Additional Contracted MESH Services
MESH staff also provides work sampling analysis services for health care sites. Work sampling provides a statistically-valid alternative for assessing teamwork. The data is beneficial when reviewing and developing:
- Standardized work (policy versus practice)
- Cost analysis (including FTEs)
- Staffing skill mix
- Staff scheduling
- System simulation
- Employee evaluation
- Employee training
The overarching goal of a work sampling analysis project is to foster a culture of safety and quality while providing efficient health care for the patients, as well as decreasing the amount of time spent on indirect care and unit-related activities while increasing the time spent on direct care activities with the patients.
It is important to remember the following about work sample analysis:
- Incompetent people are, at most, 1 percent of the problem.
- The other 99 percent are good people trying to do a good job who make simple mistakes.
- Processes set employees up to make mistakes.
- Ninety-five percent of problems are built into the way work is done and 5 percent of the problems are really the fault of the employees.