Patient Rights and Responsibilities
Transformations Surgery Center, Inc.
What are my rights and responsibilities as a patient?
As a patient of Transformations Surgery Center, Inc., you have certain basic rights regarding your health care.
You also have some basic responsibilities.
You have the right to:
- Receive quality health care services that are right for you.
- Participate in decisions regarding your health care and to full information regarding your condition, prognosis and treatment. You have the right to be told about your medical condition in terms you can understand before a surgery is performed. You also have the right to know about Transformations Surgery Center, Inc., its providers and services, and your rights and responsibilities as a patient.
- Receive prompt, respectful, service regardless of race, color, creed, sex, cultural beliefs, background or lifestyle. You have the right to ask for special help if you have a disability or need an interpreter.
- Privacy during your exam and treatment. Those people not directly a part of your care must have your prior consent to be there.
- Refuse treatment if you are legally competent. You have the right to know how that decision may affect your health care.
- Be fully informed about a treatment or procedure and the expected outcome before it is performed.
- Privacy of your medical and financial records, unless you or your authorized representative allow their release or as authorized by law.
- Information about preventative health services, including self-care and how to stay healthy.
- Voice concerns about the service or care you received from your health care provider and to file a complaint about any service you receive (see Grievance Procedures below).
- Be given information on billing procedures and policies.
- You/your representative have the right to request information regarding Advance Directives. You can obtain information about Advance Directives at http://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/forms/advdirectives/index.htm.
- Inform TSC personnel of any Advance Directives, which you may have. Advance Directives are suspended while under TSC care.
- Receive care in a safe and secure setting and to be free from all forms of abuse and harassment.
- Exercise your rights without being subjected to discrimination or reprisal.
- Have a designated legal representative to exercise your rights on your behalf.
- Be informed of the Medicare Beneficiary Ombudsman to ensure that Medicare beneficiaries receive the information and help needed to understand their Medicare options, rights and protections. The official Ombudsman web site: http://www.cms.gov/center/ombudsman.asp.
- Information to contact the State of Wisconsin DHS at 1-800-642-6552
You have the responsibility to:
- Build a relationship with your primary care provider, keep your appointments or give proper notice if you must cancel.
- Provide complete information (including past medical records) about your health care.
- Ask questions about your illness, your treatment plan and how to manage your health.
- Follow your treatment plan and report any changes in your health to your provider.
- Treat health care providers, employees and other patients with respect and to display proper behavior.
- Provide a responsible adult to transport you home from the facility and remain with you for 24 hours, if required by the physician.
If a patient has been adjudicated incompetent, the rights of the patient identified above may be exercised by his or her legally authorized representative.
If you have any concern about the service or care that you receive as a patient of Transformations Surgery Center, Inc., you have the right to file a complaint. Transformations values your feedback. If you have a concern, please contact a manager or administrator at (608) 828-1863.
You have the right to file a complaint with the State of Wisconsin DHS at 1-800-642-6552 or http://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/.
Transformations Surgery Center, Inc., is a joint venture of the University of Wisconsin Medical Foundation, Inc., and Meriter Hospital, Inc., with both owners setting high standards for patient care and safety in Wisconsin’s greater Madison area.