What Can Physical Activity Do For Me?
In the diabetes management section of UW Health's Web site, we offer tips to help you develop an exercise plan, because regular activity can help lower your blood sugar.
Physical activity is anything that gets you moving such as walking, dancing or working in the yard.
Exercise is anything that gets your heart rate elevated.
Physical activity can:
- Lower your blood sugar for up to 24 hours
- Lower your cholesterol
- Reduce your risk for heart attack and stroke
- Relieve stress
- Strengthen your heart, muscles and bones
- Help your insulin work better
- Improve your circulation
- Keep your joints flexible
- Help you lose or maintain weight
- Lower your risk for many types of cancer, like colon cancer
- Lower your blood pressure
- Lower your death rate as much as 50%
- May reduce anxiety for hours
- Lower your chance of depression
- Increase your self esteem
- Prevent or delay onset of Type 2 diabetes