When developing a healthful diet to help manage your diabetes, aim for 2-4 servings of fruits per day. One serving provides about 15 grams of carbohydrate.
One Serving Equals
- 1 piece of fruit, medium size (size of a tennis ball)
- ½ cup canned fruit
- 2 Tbsp. dried fruit
- ½ cup fruit juice
Use More Often
- 100% juices - limit juice portions to ½ cup servings
- Use fresh fruit or water-packed canned fruits. Drain fruit if it is packed in light syrup or in its own juice.
Use Less Often
- Fruits packed in heavy syrup
- Frozen fruits with added sugar
- Fruit drinks