Classes and Support Groups
Straight to the Heart Newsletter
Heart health updates from UW Health Preventive Cardiology:
Our staff includes:
- Individuals with a family or personal history of heart or vascular disease at a young age
- Children and adults with severe or difficult-to-treat lipid disorders or hypertension
- Individuals with emerging risk factors including elevated lipoprotein (a), homocysteine or C-reactive protein
- Individuals with metabolic syndrome (a combination of risk factors that include being overweight, high triglycerides, low levels of good cholesterol, high blood pressure and/or blood sugars)
Referrals may also be made for smoking cessation, exercise counseling and prescription, and stress reduction services.
Your First Clinic Visit
The following ground will be covered during your first clinic visit. Please bring your lab records and health history questionnaire and food record (mailed prior to appointment) with you.
- You will meet with a preventive cardiology staff physician and a resident physician to review a health history, complete a physical exam and review current medications and lab results
- You will review food records with a preventive cardiology nutrition specialist, who will provide recommendations for dietary changes
- We will schedule follow-up tests and clinic visits to evaluate your progress and make changes in your treatment plan, if necessary
- A letter will then be sent to your primary care physician detailing the assessment, recommendations and plan of care