MiraLAX Bowel Prep before Surgery
To prepare your bowel for surgery, follow these steps closely. Please note that “Clear” means no sediment, it does not mean colorless. You will need to buy these supplies at least 2 days before your surgery.
Bisacodyl Laxative - 5 mg tablets
MiraLAX® -238 gm. or 8.3 oz. bottle
Gatorade® or Powerade® Sport drink- 1-64 oz bottle or 2-32 oz. bottles
Fleets® Phosphate Enema- 1 bottle
2 days before surgery, eat breakfast but then drink only clear liquids. Try to drink at least two bottles of Gatorade G Recover 03® each day for 2 days before surgery.
- Jell-O®-homemade only
- Popsicles-no fruit fiber
- Sparkling water or soda
- Broth or bouillon
- Crystal Light®
- Juice-no pulp (apple okay, no orange)
- Hard candy
- Coffee or tea, no creamer – sugar is OK
- Gatorade® or other clear sports drink
- No alcohol or dairy products
- Gatorade G Series Recover 03® (protein drink)
1 day before surgery, drink only clear liquids all day. Do not take any of your regular pills for 1 hour before or after drinking the MiraLAX®, they will not be absorbed.
- 9am or earlier: Take 4 bisacodyl tablets with water. Do not chew or crush. Do not take within 1 hour of taking an antacid or other morning pills.
- 10am or earlier: mix MiraLAX® with 64 oz. of Gatorade®/Powerade®. Shake well until the powder dissolves. Refrigerate.
- 12 noon: Start to drink the MiraLAX® mixture. Drink one glass every 10-15 minutes. Drink it quickly, rather than sipping small amounts. This will help the bowel to empty. Finish this mixture within 2 hours.
- Continue to drink clear liquids only until midnight. Nothing by mouth after midnight unless you have pills to take in the morning with a sip of water.
You may feel some cramps in your lower abdomen while drinking the MiraLAX®. If you have steady stomach pain, get light-headed and dizzy, don’t have any bowel movements at all or can’t drink the MiraLAX®, call the Digestive Health Center.
- 1 hour after you finish the MiraLAX®: Take the 1st dose of antibiotics.
- 3-4 hours later: Take the 2nd dose of antibiotics.
- 10 pm or before you go to bed: Take the last dose of antibiotics.
Keep drinking clear liquids until bedtime. Shower before going to bed.
Morning of surgery (at least 1 hour before leaving home)
- Give yourself the enema. Shower again.
Digestive Health Center 608-890-5000 This is a 24 hour number.
After hours and on weekends ask for the doctor on call for
Dr. _______________________. Tell them your problem. We will
call you back.
Toll free: 1-855-342-9900
The information provided should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed physician should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.
Last Updated: 09/12/2013
Copyright © 09/12/2013 University of Wisconsin Hospitals and Clinics Authority. All rights reserved. Produced by the Department of Nursing. HF#7556
Print Health Fact For You