Results of Your Baby's Hearing Screen
Results of Your Baby’s Hearing Screen:
Date and Time of Screen:_____________
Right Ear _ Pass _ Refer
Left Ear _ Pass _ Refer
If there is a Refer result we will:
_Repeat the test before baby goes home.
_Set up an outpatient visit with Audiology.
Your baby is scheduled for a hearing test with Audiology at American Family Children’s Hospital on this date and time:
For questions about your appointment, call (608) 262-3147.
How Is My Baby’s Hearing Checked?
• A baby’s hearing can be checked when he is between 24 hours and 6 months
• At American Family Children’s Hospital, we use an Auditory Brain Stem
Response (ABR) test.
• The test takes only minutes, and most babies sleep through it.
• We use tiny earphones and place sticker electrodes on baby’s head to look at
how the brain responds to sounds.
Why Is My Baby’s Hearing Checked?
• Most babies hear well at birth, but a few do not. All babies are checked to
make sure they can hear.
• Early testing helps us meet your baby’s needs.
What Do I Need to Know about Newborn Hearing Screening?
• It is safe, painless and takes about 10 minutes.
• Most babies sleep through the test.
• Ask for the results before you leave the hospital.
• Be sure to tell the hospital the name of your baby’s health care provider so
your baby’s records can be updated.
Why Do Some Babies Need Follow-up?
• Baby has fluid in the ear
• There was noise in the test room
• Baby was moving a lot
• Baby may have trouble hearing
The information provided should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed physician should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.
Last Updated: 04/22/2013
Copyright © 04/22/2013 University of Wisconsin Hospitals and Clinics Authority. All rights reserved. Produced by the Department of Nursing. HF#7487
Print Health Fact For You