What is Intentional Rounding?
We, the nursing staff of UW Hospital and Clinics (UWHC) and the American Family Children’s Hospital (AFCH), check in with patients in their rooms every hour. When we do this, we are checking to see if you have personal needs that we can help you with and we are checking on your well-being. We also provide care that you need.
• This is called hourly rounding or intentional rounding.
• We do this to help meet your needs and keep you safe.
When is it done?
• From 6 am to 10 pm, your nurse or nurse’s aide will check on you each hour.
• From 10 pm to 6 am, your nurse or nurse’s aide will check on you every two
• If you are sleeping, we will try not to wake you.
• We check on all patients including patients who are unable to answer
• If you have a primary support person in your room, we will also check in with
him or her.
What is done?
• During these checks, we will do tasks such as give you medicine or change
• We will ask you some questions about pain, personal needs, position,
possessions, and prevention (examples on next page).
• Right before we leave your room, we will ask you to tell us what else we can
do for you while we’re here.
• Please let us know if you need anything and please tell us if you have
questions or concerns.
These are some of the questions you may be asked:
• Are you having any pain now?
• Is there anything I can do right now to help relieve your pain?
• Would you like me to tell your nurse about your pain?
• Do you need to use the bathroom?
• Can I help you to the bathroom?
• Would you like help with washing your face or your hands?
• How can I make you more comfortable?
• Can I help you turn?
• Would you like to get out of bed?
The information provided should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed physician should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.
Last Updated: 05/13/2013
Copyright © 05/13/2013 University of Wisconsin Hospitals and Clinics Authority. All rights reserved. Produced by the Department of Nursing. HF#7181
Print Health Fact For You