Swallowing with GERD and Esophageal Dysmotility
1. "Graze" or eat smaller amounts more often.
2. Choose soft moist foods.
3. Maintain upright position during meals.
4. Avoid eating 2-3 hours before lying down.
5. Avoid/limit foods likely to increase reflux sysmtoms.
- Hot spicy food
- Citrus juices (orange, grapefruit)
- Tomato products
- Caffeninated or decaffeninated coffee or soda
- Greasy, fried foods
- Peppermint and spearment
6. Consider sleeping at an incline (6 inches)
7. Avoid tight clothing at the waist, belts, panty hose.
8. Continue reflux medication as indicated by your doctor.
The information provided should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed physician should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.
Last Updated: 07/22/2011
Copyright © 11/11/2010 University of Wisconsin Hospitals and Clinics Authority. All rights reserved. Produced by the Department of Nursing. HF#7116
Print Health Fact For You