OB/GYN Bowel Prep Using NuLYTELYŽ (or generic)
To prepare for surgery, follow a clear liquid diet and clean your bowels one day before surgery. Please follow these steps closely. Your nurse will review them with you.
You will need to bring the prescription for the NuLYTELY® (or generic) to the pharmacy to get it filled. You will also need to buy 2 Bisacodyl 5mg (or generic) tablets from the pharmacy. This is an over-the-counter medicine. You may ask your pharmacist if you have problems finding this medicine.
One Day before Surgery
- In the morning, mix NuLYTELY® (or generic) according to instructions and refrigerate. Some pharmacies have flavor packs for the NuLYTELY®. If not, you may add 2 packets of Crystal Light® powder with Nutrasweet® to the container.
- Have only a clear liquid diet throughout the day. No solid foods.
- Clear liquids include
- Clear Jell-O® (with nothing added) or Popsicles®
- Carbonated beverages (7-Up® or Sprite®)
- Clear broth or bouillon in water
- Apple, grape, or cranberry juice (not tomato, orange, grapefruit or prune juice)
- Tea or coffee (no cream or milk); sugar or sugar substitute is OK.
- Boost Breeze® or Resource®
- No alcoholic drinks
- Hard candy
- No dairy products of any kind
- In the afternoon, have a clear liquid lunch. Take two Bisacodyl tablets with water after your liquid lunch.
- 90 minutes after taking the Bisacodyl tablets, begin drinking the NuLYTELY® (or generic).
- You will only drink ½ of the solution in the container.
- Try to drink at least one 8-ounce glass every 10 minutes. If you feel sick to your stomach, stop drinking. Wait until the nausea passes. Then, start drinking again, but at a slower rate (8 ounces every 15-20 minutes).
- About one hour after you start drinking the NuLYTELY® (or generic) you will begin to have diarrhea. You will want to stay close to a bathroom. You may also feel some cramps in your lower abdomen. This is normal. Keep drinking the NuLYTELY® (or generic) until you finish ½ of the solution.
- The diarrhea will usually continue for several hours after completing the bowel prep. You may continue to drink clear liquids until midnight. Do not eat any solid foods. After midnight, you must not drink or eat at all or your surgery could be canceled.
When to Call Your Doctor or Clinic
If you have severe, steady stomach pain, get light-headed or dizzy, do not have any bowel movements, or are unable to drink the NuLYTELY (or generic) call your clinic (608-263-1548). If it is after hours, ask for the doctor on call for Gyn/Oncology.
If you live out of the area, call 1-800-323-8942.
The information provided should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed physician should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.
Last Updated: 08/16/2011
Copyright © 08/16/2011 University of Wisconsin Hospitals and Clinics Authority. All rights reserved. Produced by the Department of Nursing. HF#7007
Print Health Fact For You