What to Bring to the Hospital
It is important to be prepared when you get the call that we have an organ for you. Remember, this call can come anytime, day or night.
You should plan to bring these items:
- Your transplant patient education binder
- Advance Directive (Durable Power of Attorney for Health Care or Living Will)
- ALL medicine bottles and list of medicines
- Insurance/Medicare/Medicaid Cards
- Local doctor/specialist business cards or contact information
- Local Pharmacy phone number
- NOT a lot of money, but enough to pay for 1 month’s supply of medicines after hospital discharge (or credit card/check book)
- Loose fitting clothing, socks, shoes or slippers that enclose the foot
- Any personal toiletries or comfort items (hygiene or entertainment related)
- Calling card or cell phone with charger for in-hospital use
- Dialysate and equipment for 1-2 exchanges (if applicable)
- Blood pressure cuff (if applicable)
- If you have diabetes, glucometer with diabetic supplies
- If you have diabetes, glucose tabs or sugar hard candy to prevent hypoglycemia
- Cell phone on and ready to call in case of delay or questions, the abdominal transplant coordinator on-call number is 608-263-6400 or 1-800-323-8942.
Please do not bring large amounts of cash, credit cards, or valuable items.
The unit you will be staying on at University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics (UWHC) is B4/6, on the 6th Floor. The phone number for your friends/family to contact you during your hospital stay is 608-263-8737.
Please remember, UWHC has all single-bed hospital rooms. However, you are responsible for any items brought into the hospital-even if lost or stolen
The information provided should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed physician should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.
Last Updated: 01/21/2012
Copyright © 01/21/2012 University of Wisconsin Hospitals and Clinics Authority. All rights reserved. Produced by the Department of Nursing. HF#6777
Print Health Fact For You