Wound Care for Exposed Cartilage or Bone
Your wound should stay moist and covered for proper healing. Exposed cartilage or bone will become dry and brittle if not kept moist and covered.
Supplies You Will Need to Buy
- Clean cotton swabs
- Tube of white petrolatum (Vaseline®)
- Band-Aids® or telfa pads
- Keep the dressing in place for the first 3 days.
- After first 3 days, rinse the wound with water once a week. Apply Vaseline®, then bandage.
- All other days, remove the dressing, apply Vaseline® and a new dressing.
- When showering, cover the ear with a sandwich baggie to protect the wound from water.
- A clinic visit will be scheduled to check healing in one to two weeks. Further wound care will be explained at that time.
The information provided should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed physician should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.
Last Updated: 11/04/2011
Copyright © 11/04/2011 University of Wisconsin Hospitals and Clinics Authority. All rights reserved. Produced by the Department of Nursing. HF#6610
Print Health Fact For You