Midstream Urine Sample -- Males
Before you start, be sure to read all the instructions. Please ask questions if you are unsure about any of these steps.
1. Raise the toilet seat.
2. Wash your hands with soap and water. Dry your hands with clean paper
3. Open the urine container. Do not touch inside of container or cover. Open
4. Clean the head of the penis with a towelette. Start at the opening of the
urethra and circle back. If you are not circumcised, pull the foreskin back to
clean the head of the penis. Throw the towelette in the nearby wastebasket.
Hold the foreskin back during urination.
5. Urinate a small amount into the toilet. Then bring the container into the urine
stream to catch a sample. Stop the stream. Finish urinating into the toilet.
The container does not have to be filled to the top.
6. Screw the cover onto the urine container. Dry the outside of container if it is
wet. Wash your hands. Put label on side of container.
7. Give the sample to the clinic staff.
If you make a mistake in collecting the specimen, please ask for a new container and towelette.
The Spanish version of this Health Facts for You is #5478.
The information provided should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed physician should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.
Last Updated: 05/13/2013
Copyright © 05/13/2013 University of Wisconsin Hospitals and Clinics Authority. All rights reserved. Produced by the Department of Nursing. HF#4247
Print Health Fact For You