Breast Expander Removal with Breast Implant Placement
What to Do
- Plan to take off work for a week or two. This depends on the type of work you do.
- Avoid strenuous exercise for 4 weeks.
- Do your household and outdoor chores ahead of time. Make plans for someone to help you.
- Plan meals that are easy to prepare.
- Have someone care for your children, if needed.
- Plan to take it easy for a few weeks.
- You will have a special support bra put on you during surgery. This bra is worn day and night after surgery. You may wash it.
- You may need to stay in the hospital for 1 night.
- You may have a small drain placed during surgery.
- You may shower the day after surgery.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing for a few days.
- Plan to visit your surgeon in 2-5 days, 7 days, and 14 days.
- As you have already completed the expansion, placement of the final implant should not cause great pain.
When to Call your Doctor
- Redness and swelling of the incision site.
- Pain not relieved with pain medicine.
- Excess bruising.
- Pus-like drainage.
- Temperature greater than 100.4°F for more than two readings taken 2 hours apart.
- Questions or concerns with the appearance of the implant.
Surgery Clinic: (608) 263 – 7502, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. weekdays.
After hours, the clinic number is answered by the paging operator. Ask for the Plastic Surgery resident on call. Leave your name and phone number with the area code. The doctor will call you back.
Toll Free: 1-800-323-8942.
The information provided should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed physician should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.
Last Updated: 08/11/2011
Copyright © 08/11/2011 University of Wisconsin Hospitals and Clinics Authority. All rights reserved. Produced by the Department of Nursing. HF#4796
Print Health Fact For You