Getting Ready For Total Knee Replacement
The Day before Surgery
- A nurse will call you letting you know when to arrive and the time of your surgery. (If your surgery is on Monday, expect a call the Friday before.)
- Eat a light supper. Do not eat solid food after midnight. This includes gum and candy.
- Do not use tobacco after midnight.
- Stop drinking clear liquids 4 hours before your scheduled surgery time.
- If you have not had a bowel movement by 5 pm, you may wish to take a phosphate enema (Fleets®) or a Dulcolax® suppository to empty the bowel. You can buy these without a prescription at your local drug store.
- Wash the knee with an antibacterial soap (Hibiclens®) for 2 – 3 minutes. Wash again the next morning using the Hibiclens®.
- Remove nail polish, make-up, and jewelry. Plan to leave any valuables at home.
- Do not take any blood thinners.
The Morning of Surgery
- With a sip of water, take only the medicines that your doctor has told you to take.
- Arrive at the hospital by ____________. Take the D elevators to the 3rd floor, turn left and follow the signs to the First Day Surgery unit.
- If you plan to use your own crutches or walker, leave them in the car and have a family member bring them in later or by the next morning.
- Bring this packet with you to the hospital.
If you have given blood in advance, be sure to let the staff know on the day of your surgery work-up. Also, talk with your doctor about taking an iron supplement before and after giving blood.
The information provided should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed physician should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.
Last Updated: 12/11/2009
Copyright © 12/11/2009 University of Wisconsin Hospitals and Clinics Authority. All rights reserved. Produced by the Department of Nursing. HF#6287
Print Health Fact For You