Upper Endoscopy Home Care Instructions
What to Expect
You may notice a mild soreness in your throat. You may wish to gargle with lightly salted water or suck on hard candy.
You may have a feeling of fullness or gas pains.
- You must have an adult to take you home. You should not drive today.
- Do not drink alcohol. Do not take tranquilizers or sleeping pills tonight.
- Rest today. You may resume normal daily tasks tomorrow.
- You may resume your routine medicines unless told otherwise.
- You may resume your normal diet. Start out light to prevent nausea.
- There may be some soreness and redness at the IV site for a day or two. You can relieve this by placing a warm, moist washcloth over the area. Please contact your primary doctor if this does not improve in a couple of days.
- Do not make any important personal or business decisions today.
Call your doctor right away if you have:
- vomited blood
- bloody stools
- chest pain
- abdominal pain
- fever or chills
Digestive Health Center, 8am to 5pm weekdays, (608) 890-5000.
After clinic hours, please call (608) 890-5000. Give your name and phone number with the area code. The doctor will call you back.
If you live outside of the Madison area, please call 1-855-342-9900.
UW Health Digestive Health Center
750 University Row
University of Wisconsin Hospital & Clinics
GI Procedure Clinic
600 Highland Avenue
Meriter Hospital Digestive Health Center
202 S. Park Street
The Spanish version of this Health Facts for You is #7099.
The information provided should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed physician should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.
Last Updated: 04/24/2013
Copyright © 04/10/2013 University of Wisconsin Hospitals and Clinics Authority. All rights reserved. Produced by the Department of Nursing. HF#4564
Print Health Fact For You