Getting Ready for your Ultrasound
Some ultrasound exams require you to have a full bladder.
Ultrasounds that DO require a full bladder
- Insert IUD placement/removal
- Biopsy under ultrasound guidance
If you need a full bladder, 1 hour before your test
- Empty your bladder (go to the bathroom) and then
- Drink 16 ounces (2 cups) of fluids in 10 to 15 minutes.
- Do not go to the bathroom until after your test is done.
Ultrasounds that DO NOT require a full bladder
- All OB ultrasounds
- Check placement of IUD
- All gynecology ultrasounds, except those exams mentioned above
Date of test: _________________________________
Time of test: _________________________________
Location of test: ______________________________
Call UW Health
West OB/GYN Clinic at (608) 265-7601
20 South Park Clinic at (608) 287-2830
The Spanish version of this Health Facts for You is #7281.
The information provided should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed physician should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.
Last Updated: 02/04/2013
Copyright © 02/04/2013 University of Wisconsin Hospitals and Clinics Authority. All rights reserved. Produced by the Department of Nursing. HF#6034
Print Health Fact For You