Adult Circumcision Care
- There will likely be swelling, bruising, and spotty bleeding in your penis.
- Keep the pressure dressing on your penis as instructed by your doctor. Change the outer dressing if it becomes soiled. You may be instructed to remove dressing after 24 hours. It depends on your doctor.
- Keep your wound clean and dry. You may shower 24 hours after surgery. Keep your back to the water as much as possible. Do not soak in a bathtub, hot tub, Jacuzzi, or swimming pool until two weeks after surgery.
- Your stitches should dissolve in about 2 - 4 weeks.
- You will be seen for follow-up in the Urology Clinic in 2 to 3 weeks for wound check.
When to Call the Doctor
- Increased redness, swelling, or bruising
- Drainage of pus or blood
- Pain not controlled by pain pills
- Fevers or chills
- Unable to urinate
- Problems with urination such as a spraying urine stream or pain.
Urology Clinic: Monday – Friday, 8:00 am - 4:30 pm. (608) 263-4757
After Hours, Nights, Weekends, and Holidays: (608) 262-0486.
Ask for the Urology Doctor on call. Leave your name and phone number with the area code. The doctor will call you back.
Toll Free: 1-800-323-8942
Your medical record number _____________________________
The information provided should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed physician should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.
Last Updated: 03/31/2011
Copyright © 03/31/2011 University of Wisconsin Hospitals and Clinics Authority. All rights reserved. Produced by the Department of Nursing. HF#4253
Print Health Fact For You