Your Home Care After Bronchoscopy or Laryngoscopy
This handout will review the care you need to follow at home. Your nurse will go over it with you. If you have any questions once you're home, please call.
What to Do
1. Rest your voice for at least 24 to 48 hours.
2. You may be hoarse for a while. This is normal and goes away with time. Do not whisper. It strains your voice.
3. For the first 24-48 hours, keep your head raised 30-45º (on at least 2 or more pillows) when you are resting.
4. If you have a sore throat, drink plenty of liquids and eat only soft bland foods until your sore throat is gone. Do not gargle.
5. Do not to smoke. Smoking increases throat irritation and secretions.
If You Had a Biopsy
1. Try not to clear your throat for the first 24 hours. This may dislodge a blood clot where the biopsy was taken.
2. It will take about 48 to 72 hours for your doctor to receive the test results. The doctor will then inform you of your results.
Patients often complain of a sore throat. Before your discharge, your doctor will prescribe pain medicine for you if you need it.
When to Call the Doctor
- Severe trouble swallowing.
- Coughing up large blood clots.
- A fever greater than 100.5º F (when taken by mouth).
- Shortness of breath or can't get your breath. Go to the nearest Emergency Room to be checked.
- Any feeling you are not recovering like you should.
ENT Clinic: (608) 263-6190, weekdays from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
After clinic hours and weekends, the clinic number will give you the paging operator. Ask for the ENT resident on call. Be sure to leave your name, area code, and phone number. The doctor will call you back shortly.
If you are from out of the area, use our toll-free phone number: 1-800-323-8942.
The information provided should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed physician should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.
Last Updated: 04/24/2012
Copyright © 04/24/2012 University of Wisconsin Hospitals and Clinics Authority. All rights reserved. Produced by the Department of Nursing. HF#4460
Print Health Fact For You