What is a Diskus?
A diskus holds asthma medicine as a powder to help lessen swelling inside the airways in your lungs.
How do I use a Diskus?
- While holding the Advair® diskus in one hand, place the thumb of your other hand on the grip and push away until the mouthpiece appears and snaps into place.
- Hold the diskus level.
- To load the dose, slide the lever away from you as far as it will go until it clicks. Do not shake the diskus after loading it.
- Breathe or blow out to empty the air out of your lungs. Never blow into the diskus mouthpiece.
- Put the mouthpiece between your teeth and close your lips.
- Breathe in steady and deep.
- Hold your breath for about 10 seconds.
- Close the diskus..
- Rinse your mouth with water and spit or brush your teeth.
How do I clean the diskus?
Use a dry tissue or cloth to clean the mouthpiece.
How many doses are left in the diskus?
There is a window on the diskus that shows how many doses are left. The numbers will be change to red when there are 5 doses left. Your diskus is empty when the number is “0” in red.
The Spanish version of this Health Facts for You is #6746.
The information provided should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed physician should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.
Last Updated: 08/20/2012
Copyright © 04/13/2011 University of Wisconsin Hospitals and Clinics Authority. All rights reserved. Produced by the Department of Nursing. HF#5740
Print Health Fact For You