Full Bowel Prep Using Bisacodyl/GoLytelyŽ
Try to drink at least one bottle of Gatorade G Recover 03® each day for 2 days before surgery. Mix GoLYTELY® with warm drinking water to top of line on bottle and shake. It will be clear. Store this in the refrigerator. Use within 48 hours.
***Okay to add Crystal Light® powder mix to each glass.***
1 day before surgery, drink only clear liquids all day.
- 9am (or earlier): Take 4 bisacodyl tablets with water. Do not chew or crush. Do not take within 1 hour of taking an antacid or other morning medicine. It is okay to do this step earlier in the day.
- As soon as you have a bowel movement, start to drink the GoLYTELY®. Drink 1 8oz glass every 10 minutes until half the bottle is gone – or your stools are clear. If you see sandy particles in the toilet water, drinkone cup of GoLYTELY® at a time until all solid matter is gone and it looks clear. Do not sip slowly. It works better if you drink quickly.
- 1 hour after you finish the GoLYTELY®
As soon as you have a bowel movement, start to drink the GoLYTELY®. Drink 1 8oz glass every 10 minutes until half the bottle is gone – or your stools are clear. If you see sandy particles in the toilet water, drink a cup of GoLYTELY® at a time until all solid matter is gone and it looks clear. Do not sip slowly. It works better if you drink quickly.
1 hour after you finish the GoLYTELY®: Take the 1st dose of antibiotics.
- 3-4 hours later: Take the 2nd dose of antibiotics.
- 10 pm: Take the last dose of antibiotics.
You should keep drinking clear liquids until bedtime.Shower before going to bed.
Morning of surgery(at least 1 hour before leaving home)
- Give yourself a Fleets®phosphate enema. Shower again.
Note: You may feel some cramps in your lower abdomen while drinking the GoLYTELY®. If you have steady stomach pain, get light-headed and dizzy, don’t have any bowel movements at all or can’t drink the GoLYTELY®, call the clinic at (608) 263-7502. This is a 24 hour number.
After hours and on weekends ask for the doctor on call for Dr. _________.
Tell them your problem.
Toll free hospital number: 1-800-323-8942
Do not take any of your scheduled medicines for 1 hour before or after drinking the GoLYTELY®as they will not be absorbed.
You will be called and told if you need to take any potassium.
The Spanish version of this Health Facts for You is #6755.
The information provided should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed physician should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.
Last Updated: 06/26/2012
Copyright © 06/25/2012 University of Wisconsin Hospitals and Clinics Authority. All rights reserved. Produced by the Department of Nursing. HF#6113
Print Health Fact For You