Modified Bowel Preparation - Urology Clinic
The purpose of this bowel prep is to empty your bowel of stool to decrease the chance of problems during and after surgery. Please follow these directions carefully.
A few days before surgery, go to your local drugstore and buy:
- Magnesium citrate 10 ounces (1 bottle)
Store it in the refrigerator, it is easier to drink when chilled
The Day before Surgery
- Eat a light breakfast and lunch, avoid greasy foods and red meat.
- Drink only clear liquids after lunch up to midnight (no limit on amount). No solid food or dairy products after lunch.
Examples of clear liquids
- Juice, (apple, grape, cranberry) NO carrot, tomato, nectars, or pulp
- Hard candy
- Sparkling water or soda
- No alcohol
- Clear Jell-O®, homemade only, from powder. Not premade. Do not add fruit, whip cream or marshmallows.
- Weak coffee or tea, no creamer, sugar or sugar substitute is okay
- No dairy products (milk, soy milk, cheese, yogurt, ice cream, pudding, cream soups)
- At 2:00 pm drink magnesium citrate 10 ounces. (1bottle). It is important to drink this where you will be near a bathroom. Do not plan to travel after drinking this.
- In the evening, drink 1 liter of a sports-type drink (Gatorade®). It must contain electrolytes. You may have any flavor.
Do not eat or drink anything after midnight.
- Shower twice with Hibiclens® soap. Shower the night before and shower again in the morning before you check in for surgery.
The information provided should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed physician should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.
Last Updated: 06/19/2012
Copyright © 06/19/2012 University of Wisconsin Hospitals and Clinics Authority. All rights reserved. Produced by the Department of Nursing. HF#5415
Print Health Fact For You