Tips for Good VisionSkip to the navigation
The following tips can help you keep your eyes healthy and your vision as clear as possible.
- Provide good light for reading, work, or study (soft background light plus a light on your task).
- Take regular breaks from close work and visually demanding tasks. Blink often, and close and rest your eyes when they feel tired or dry.
- Avoid glare on TV and computer screens. Place your TV or computer screen where lights do not reflect on the screen. Some people find it easier to work on a computer in a dimly lit room. And some people use special nonglare screens that fit over the computer screen.
- Wear proper eye safety equipment for hazardous tasks.
- Wear UV-blocking sunglasses to protect your eyes from excessive ultraviolet (UV) light from the sun. Too much UV exposure can damage your retina and cause lasting vision loss. It can also raise the risk of cataracts.
- Avoid smoke and other things that irritate your eyes.
- Get routine eye exams from an eye doctor.
Primary Medical Reviewer Adam Husney, MD - Family Medicine
Specialist Medical Reviewer Christopher J. Rudnisky, MD, MPH, FRCSC - Ophthalmology
Current as ofSeptember 9, 2014
Current as of: September 9, 2014
Author: Healthwise Staff
To learn more, visit Healthwise.org