Schizophrenia: Social Skills TrainingSkip to the navigation
Social skills training helps you get along better with other people in daily life, at work, and in social situations. These classes also help you develop skills for your personal relationships.
Class topics may include:
- What is right and wrong behavior in public places.
- What skills you need to talk successfully with others, including groups of people.
- How to find hobbies or other spare-time activities.
- What skills you need to make decisions and be responsible for your decisions.
- How to use public services, including public transportation.
- How to cope with frustration.
- How to praise others.
- What skills you need to deal with criticism.
Social skills training also can include specific types of education, such as classes on how to:
- Raise your children.
- Deal with anger.
- Tell others what you want (assertiveness).
- Take care of your basic needs, such as bathing, grooming, and hygiene.
- Handle your money.
In all classes, you'll become aware of and try to change symptoms of schizophrenia that may make it hard to interact with other people. Your training may help you:
- Make better eye contact.
- Respond more quickly to others.
- Smile, frown, or use facial expressions that fit the situation.
- Talk as loudly or softly as needed.
You'll also learn skills that will help you with your treatment. These may include:
- How to manage your medicines.
- How to tell if your medicine is causing side effects and what to do.
- How to know if you're having a relapse and what to do.
- How to find the help you need.
To help you with these skills, your teachers may model them and then ask you to do the same with others in your class (role-playing). For example, you may role-play asking for help or interviewing for a job.
Primary Medical Reviewer Kathleen Romito, MD - Family Medicine
Specialist Medical Reviewer Lisa S. Weinstock, MD - Psychiatry
Current as ofNovember 20, 2015
To learn more about Healthwise, visit Healthwise.org.
© 1995-2016 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.