Topic Overview Back to top
You can reduce anxiety and stress in your life by:
- Taking slow, deep breaths.
- Soaking in a warm bath.
- Listening to soothing music.
- Taking a walk or doing some other exercise.
- Meditating or praying.
- Taking a yoga class.
- Having a massage or back rub.
- Drinking a warm, nonalcoholic, noncaffeinated beverage.
Changing some of your everyday habits also can reduce stress in your life.
- Limit or eliminate caffeine and nicotine. Both caffeine and nicotine can trigger a panic attack in some people.
- Avoid alcohol. It can cause sleep problems and depression. Drinking alcohol also can trigger a panic attack in some people.
- Avoid using illegal drugs such as marijuana, lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD), sedatives, cocaine, and amphetamines (for example, speed). These can trigger a panic attack in some people.
- Reduce or eliminate the use of certain nonprescription medicines, such as some medicines used to treat colds. These can trigger a panic attack in some people.
Credits Back to top
|Primary Medical Reviewer||Anne C. Poinier, MD - Internal Medicine|
|Specialist Medical Reviewer||Lisa S. Weinstock, MD - Psychiatry|
|Last Revised||September 7, 2012|
To learn more visit Healthwise.org
© 1995-2013 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.