Questions About Varicose Vein TreatmentSkip to the navigation
If you are considering a procedure or surgery for varicose veins, weigh the following before proceeding:
- How much experience does the doctor have with the particular treatment? Look for a doctor who has done many procedures.
- What is the overall success rate of the clinic? Be very cautious when people promise perfect results.
- How much do the exam and treatment cost, and how many treatments does the doctor think you will need? The cost of treatment can range from a few hundred to several thousand dollars, depending on how many shots or "sessions" you have. Be very cautious about clinics that require you to sign a contract for a specific number of visits at the beginning.
- What are the risks of treatment? Ask about health risks and cosmetic side effects of the treatment.
- What are the expected results and how soon will you notice them? Keep in mind that varicose veins may recur after treatment. Ask for the rates of varicose vein recurrence with the type of treatment you are considering.
For help deciding whether to have a procedure for varicose veins, see:
Health Tools help you make wise health decisions or take action to improve your health.
Primary Medical Reviewer E. Gregory Thompson, MD - Internal Medicine
Specialist Medical Reviewer David A. Szalay, MD - Vascular Surgery
Current as ofSeptember 9, 2014
To learn more, visit Healthwise.org
© 1995-2015 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.