Alcohol Abuse: Other Health Problems That May Occur
Mental health problems might include:
- Anxiety and anxiety disorders.
- Antisocial personality disorder.
- Bipolar disorder.
- Panic attacks or panic disorder.
- Social anxiety disorder.
- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).
Physical problems might include:
- Delirium and dementia.
- Peripheral neuropathy.
- Gastrointestinal problems, including:
- Liver diseases such as:
- Cardiovascular system problems such as:
- Pancreatic disorders such as:
It is common for someone who has alcohol problems to also misuse other substances, such as cigarettes, illegal drugs, or prescription medicines. Quitting tobacco and quitting drinking at the same time will actually improve the success of your treatment for both.1
Health Tools help you make wise health decisions or take action to improve your health.
Primary Medical Reviewer E. Gregory Thompson, MD - Internal Medicine
Specialist Medical Reviewer Peter Monti, PhD - Alcohol and Addiction
Current as ofMarch 12, 2014
Current as of: March 12, 2014
To learn more, visit Healthwise.org
© 1995-2014 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.