Type 1 Diabetes: Medical History and Physical Exam
Symptoms of type 1 diabetes usually happen quickly. If ignored, the diagnosis of type 1 diabetes may happen in an emergency room or hospital.
If your doctor thinks that you might have type 1 diabetes, he or she may ask questions about your symptoms, family history of the disease, and personal medical history. Questions for the medical history may include the following:
- Have you had increased thirst, increased urination, and fatigue?
- How long have the symptoms been present?
- Have you had an increase in appetite?
- Have you lost weight lately?
- Is there a family history of diabetes?
- What other medical conditions do you have?
- What medicines are you are currently taking?
- Have you been ill recently?
- Has growth and development progressed normally (if the person is a child)?
Your doctor will also give you a complete physical exam. You will continue having exams on a regular basis if you are diagnosed with this disease. The physical exam includes:
- Measuring your height and weight. Children and teens will have their height and weight compared to standards that are normal for their age groups.
- Checking your blood pressure. For adults, blood pressure may be checked while standing and sitting.
- Checking your eyes.
- Feeling your neck to evaluate your thyroid gland. Thyroid problems sometimes develop in people who have diabetes.
- Listening to your heart and lung sounds and checking the blood flow (pulses) in your arms, legs, and feet.
- Checking for signs of dehydration, such as loose skin, a dry mouth, or sunken eyeballs.
- Checking alertness, if you are very ill.
- Checking your feet for problems including corns, calluses, blisters, cuts, cracks, or sores.
Primary Medical Reviewer E. Gregory Thompson, MD - Internal Medicine
Specialist Medical Reviewer David C.W. Lau, MD, PhD, FRCPC - Endocrinology
Current as ofJune 4, 2014
To learn more, visit Healthwise.org
© 1995-2014 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.