Child Care: Qualifications for Providers
Topic Overview Back to top
In general, seek caregivers who are trained in child care issues as well as educated in child growth and development. Specific recommendations vary by position and type of child care facility. Directors should have a college degree, have experience in child care, and provide ongoing training opportunities for all staff.
Ask the following questions about the child care providers of group care facilities:
Education level and training
- What are the education and training requirements for staff members? What childhood development classes or certifications are required?
- Are children who have special needs enrolled in the facility? If so, what kind of special training do staff members have?
- Are staff encouraged to continue their child care education by attending workshops and lectures?
- Are staff trained in general health care practices?
- Are staff members certified in basic first aid and emergency care? Does at least one staff member have advanced first aid training?
General background and personality
- Have all staff members had a thorough background check, including fingerprinting?
- How do staff handle children's difficult behavior?
- Are staff members sensitive to the needs and abilities of shy children? Are staff members willing to let me help my child transition to a new routine?
- Can I observe for a while? (It should be obvious from watching the children that they enjoy being with the staff.)
References Back to top
Other Works Consulted
- American Academy of Pediatrics, et al. (2002). Caring for Our Children—National Health and Safety Standards: Guidelines for Out-of-Home Child Care Programs, 2nd ed. Elk Grove Village, IL: American Academy of Pediatrics.
Credits Back to top
|Primary Medical Reviewer||Susan C. Kim, MD - Pediatrics|
|Specialist Medical Reviewer||John Pope, MD - Pediatrics|
|Last Revised||September 14, 2012|
To learn more visit Healthwise.org
© 1995-2013 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.