Peter J. Kahrilas, MD - Gastroenterology
Dr. Peter J. Kahrilas reviews medical content for Healthwise, a nonprofit organization with a mission to help people make better health decisions. Dr. Kahrilas is a specialist in esophageal disease. He is involved in research on the mechanics of swallowing, the motor activity of the upper esophagus, and the pathophysiology of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). He is a Professor in the Division of Gastroenterology in the Department of Medicine at Northwestern University's Medical School in Chicago, Illinois.
Education and Training
MD: University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, Rochester, NY, 1979
Residency in Internal Medicine: University Hospitals of Cleveland, Cleveland, OH, 1979–1982
Fellowship in Gastroenterology: Northwestern University, Chicago, IL, 1982–1984
Research Fellow in Gastrointestinal Motility: Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI, 1984–1986
American Board of Internal Medicine
Gastroenterology, American Board of Internal Medicine
Malcolm Robinson Visiting Professor, University of Oklahoma College of Medicine, Oklahoma City, OK, 2004
Wade Volwiler Visiting Professor, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, WA, 2003
Northwestern University, Department of Medicine, Evanston, IL:
- Gilbert Marquardt Professor of Medicine, Department of Medicine, 1999–present
- Professor, Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders, 1995–present
- Professor, Department of Medicine, 1995–1999
- Associate Professor (with tenure), Department of Medicine, 1992–1995
- Associate Professor, Department of Medicine, 1990–1992
- Associate Professor, Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders, 1990–1992
- Assistant Professor, Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders, 1988–1990
- Assistant Professor, Department of Medicine, 1986–1990
Current as of: June 27, 2014
Author: Healthwise Staff
To learn more about Healthwise, visit Healthwise.org.
© 1995-2017 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.