Thoracic Outlet Syndrome
National Organization for Rare Disorders, Inc.
It is possible that the main title of the report Thoracic Outlet Syndrome is not the name you expected.
Thoracic outlet syndrome (TOS) is a condition presenting with arm complaints of pain, numbness, tingling and weakness. The cause is pressure in the neck against the nerves and blood vessels that go to the arm.
There are three types of TOS depending on which structure is being compressed:
1. Neurogenic TOS-nerve compression comprises 95% of all TOS patients
2. Venous TOS-compression of the main vein comprises 4% of all TOS patients
3. Arterial TOS-compression of the main artery comprises less than 1% of all TOS patients
4. Vascular TOS is a term sometimes used but there is no such entity as vascular TOS. The term refers to TOS due either to compression of an artery or vein (arterial or venous TOS). The appropriate terms, arterial or venous, should be employed and the term vascular discarded.
The three types of TOS are very different from each other. Each will be described separately.
American Chronic Pain Association
- P.O. Box 850
- Rocklin, CA 95677
- Tel: (916)632-0922
- Fax: (916)652-8190
- Tel: (800)533-3231
- Email: ACPA@theacpa.org
- Website: http://www.theacpa.org
Genetic and Rare Diseases (GARD) Information Center
- PO Box 8126
- Gaithersburg, MD 20898-8126
- Tel: (301)251-4925
- Fax: (301)251-4911
- Tel: (888)205-2311
- Website: http://rarediseases.info.nih.gov/GARD/
NIH/National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke
- P.O. Box 5801
- Bethesda, MD 20824
- Tel: (301)496-5751
- Fax: (301)402-2186
- Tel: (800)352-9424
- Website: http://www.ninds.nih.gov/
United Brachial Plexus Network
- 32 William Road Reading
- Reading, MA 01867
- Tel: 781-315-6161
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: http://www.ubpn.org
For a Complete Report
This is an abstract of a report from the National Organization for Rare Disorders (NORD). For a full-text version of this report, go to www.rarediseases.org and click on Rare Disease Database under "Rare Disease Information".
The information provided in this report is not intended for diagnostic purposes. It is provided for informational purposes only.
It is possible that the title of this topic is not the name you selected. Please check the Synonyms listing to find the alternate name(s) and Disorder Subdivision(s) covered by this report.
This disease entry is based upon medical information available through the date at the end of the topic. Since NORD's resources are limited, it is not possible to keep every entry in the Rare Disease Database completely current and accurate. Please check with the agencies listed in the Resources section for the most current information about this disorder.
Last Updated: 5/15/2015
Copyright 2015 National Organization for Rare Disorders, Inc.
Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.