Strengthening Exercises for Ankle Sprains
Talk with your doctor or physical therapist if you have questions about how to do these or any other exercises for ankle sprains.
Ankle eversion exercise
- Start by sitting with your foot flat on the floor and pushing it outward against an immovable object such as the wall or heavy furniture. Hold for about 6 seconds, then relax.
- After you feel comfortable with this, try using rubber tubing looped around the outside of your feet for resistance. Push your foot out to the side against the tubing, then count to 10 as you slowly bring your foot back to the middle.
Isometric opposition exercises
- While sitting, put your feet together flat on the floor.
- Press your injured foot inward against your other foot. Hold for about 6 seconds, then relax.
- Next, place the heel of your other foot on top of the injured one and push down with the top heel while trying to push up with your injured foot. Hold for about 6 seconds, then relax.
Current as of: May 22, 2015
Author: Healthwise Staff
Medical Review: Adam Husney, MD - Family Medicine & William H. Blahd, Jr., MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine
To learn more about Healthwise, visit Healthwise.org
© 1995-2015 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.