Shock may quickly occur after a sudden illness or injury. When the body loses too much blood or fluid, there is no longer enough fluid in the body to carry enough blood to the vital organs.
A child may be in shock if one or more of the following signs are present:
Also, a child in shock has a weak, rapid heart rate and low blood pressure.
Shock is a life-threatening condition. Immediate medical care is required any time shock is suspected.
Current as of: November 20, 2015
Author: Healthwise Staff
Medical Review: William H. Blahd, Jr., MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine & H. Michael O'Connor, MD - Emergency Medicine
To learn more about Healthwise, visit Healthwise.org.
© 1995-2016 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.
Donations to UW Health are managed by the University of Wisconsin Foundation, a publicly supported charitable organization under 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.