Pinworms are a type of parasite that lives in the digestive system of humans. Most people get infected by touching something that has pinworm eggs on it and then swallowing them. Pinworms can be annoying, but they rarely cause serious health problems.
Treatment can kill pinworms. It also helps keep you from getting infected again and from spreading the infection to other people.
Current as of: July 26, 2016
Author: Healthwise Staff
Medical Review: John Pope, MD - Pediatrics & Susan C. Kim, MD - Pediatrics
To learn more about Healthwise, visit Healthwise.org.
© 1995-2017 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.
Donations to UW Health are managed by the University of Wisconsin Foundation, a publicly supported charitable organization under 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.