An overdose happens when a person takes more than the normal or recommended amount of something, usually a drug. An overdose can result in harmful symptoms or death.
Taking too much of something on purpose is called an intentional or deliberate overdose. If the overdose happens by mistake, it is called an accidental overdose.
Current as of: February 24, 2016
Author: Healthwise Staff
Medical Review: Adam Husney, MD - Family Medicine & Peter Monti, PhD - Alcohol and Addiction
To learn more about Healthwise, visit Healthwise.org.
© 1995-2016 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.
Donations to UW Health are managed by the University of Wisconsin Foundation, a publicly supported charitable organization under 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.