Allergic Reaction to Metal

Allergy to metal

An allergic reaction to metal is an overreaction of the body's immune system to a substance (allergen) in a metal. An allergic reaction to metal can cause intense swelling, pain, and itching.

Nickel is the most common metal allergen. Jewelry that does not trigger an allergic reaction is made from:

  • Stainless steel (grade-300).
  • 14- or 18-karat gold.
  • Niobium.
  • Titanium.
  • Platinum.
  • Dense, nonporous plastic, such as monofilament nylon, acrylic, or Lucite.

Current as of: February 20, 2015

Author: Healthwise Staff

Medical Review: William H. Blahd, Jr., MD, FACEP - Emergency Medicine & H. Michael O'Connor, MD - Emergency Medicine