The Access Center
In Madison: (608) 263-6796
Fax: (608) 265-0759
- Rapid consultations with specialty staff
- Patient referral on a outpatient or inpatient basis
- Transportation on UW Med Flight or or on CHETA (Children's Hospital Emergency Transport Ambulance) for the American Family Children's Hospital
How to Use the Access Center
A registered nurse, specializing in consultation and acute care admission, is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Attending physicians are also available 24/7 through the Access Center and the RN staff can help facilitate transport for Med Flight and the Critical Care Transport Team which provides ground transport to the American Family Children's Hospital.
When you make a referral, please provide the following information:
- Patient's name, date of birth, address and telephone number
- UW Hospital patient registration number - MR (medical record) number, if known
- Name of referring physician and office phone number
- Insurance information, including the name of insurance plan or HMO, pre-admission requirements and second surgical opinion guidelines, if appropriate
Transferring Patients to UW Hospital or American Family Children's Hospital
When a hospital-to-hospital transfer is needed, the patient's attending physician should call the Access Center. The Access Center nurse will ask for a brief history of the illness or injury and the level of care that the patient is receiving. The nurses are very experienced and know UW Hospital and Clinics' parameters for intensive care or specialty care within our institution. With this information, you will be connected with the most appropriate attending physician from within UW Hospital and Clinics.
Once the level of care and the accepting service is decided by the physicians, the Access Center nurse will ask for a call-back number. The Access Center will find a bed placement and the time the bed will be ready. Please wait to arrange transportation until you receive a call with these details.
To assure compliance with payer-based prior authorization requirements, insurance information is necessary at the time of referral. Please fax your patients' face sheet to the Access Center at (608) 265-0759 so insurance verification and requirements can be met.