How to Refer a Patient
Printable Find a Doctor Directories are available to referring physician offices wanting to print a directory of UW Health physicians for one or more specialties. For comprehensive clinic and biographical information for UW Health physicians, including video profiles, visit the main Find a Doctor directory.
UW Health is dedicated to developing and maintaining strong working relationships with referring health care professionals and to making the referral process as efficient as possible.
We also recognize the importance of the relationship that you have with your patients. We seek to honor that relationship by providing the best possible care for your patients and by keeping you apprised of your patients' care.
UW Health offers services at more than 80 specialty clinics. To refer a patient for outpatient care, please use one of the following options*:
This form can be used when referring a patient to any of the UW Health pediatric or adult specialty clinics.
FAX: Complete the Request for Clinic Appointment Form
PHONE: Call the clinic directly. Directory (pdf)
* For URGENT referrals, please call the appropriate UW Health specialty clinic directly to schedule an appointment.
Admissions and Consultations
Call (866) 678-7636
- Transfer a neonate to one of our NICUs in Madison, Wis.
Level 3 NICU: UnityPoint Health - Meriter
Level 4 NICU: UW Health's American Family Children's Hospital
- Consult with UW Health neonatologist, maternal-fetal medicine specialist or pediatric cardiologist (i.e., to arrange a fetal echocardiogram)
- Coordinate transfer of an expectant mother for prenatal or delivery care at UnityPoint Health - Meriter
All Other Pediatric and Adult Patients
Call the UW Health Access Center at (608) 263-6796 or (800) 472-0111.
- Transfer patients to University Hospital (inpatient or outpatient care)
- Arrange emergency transportation
- Obtain rapid consultations with specialty staff
The UW Health Transplant Program strives to provide superior communication, education and support to referring providers. The goal of the program is to work in a collaborative effort to provide extraordinary transplant patient care. Transplant Referrals information
To refer unscheduled patients who need hospitalization to a UW Health physician who practices at Meriter Hospital, call the Meriter Access Center at (608) 417-5755 or (866) 680-0111.