Clinical Nutrition Manager
An Open House Presentation was held Thursday, Oct. 30, 2014 - Watch the presentation
Thank you for your interest in the University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics Dietetic Internship Program. The UWHC Dietetic Internship is established within the academic health care entities of the University of Wisconsin-Madison including the UW Medical Foundation, UW Hospital and Clinics and UW School of Medicine and Public Health. UW Health is also home to the American Family Children's Hospital and the UW Carbone Cancer Center. The University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics is an acute care teaching institution, nationally recognized in many areas of medical care.
The UWHC Dietetic Internship Program has a medical nutrition therapy concentration. Beginning in 2015, the UWHC Dietetic Internship Program is a 39-week supervised practice experience consisting of clinical supervised practice and advanced nutrition learning. The Dietetic Internship program has a medical nutrition therapy concentration.
The UWHC Dietetic Internship Program will not be participating in DICAS or Computer Matching in Spring or Fall 2014 (Spring or Fall). The UWHC Dietetic Internship will be participating in DICAS and D&D Digital Computer Matching in Spring 2015 and coordinated with the UW-Madison’s Capstone Certificate in Clinical Nutrition-Dietetic Internship.
In 2015, the internship includes one week of orientation with emphasis on health system informatics, 17 weeks of Clinical Nutrition-Medical Nutrition Therapy, four weeks of Clinical Nutrition-Pediatrics, four weeks of Clinical Nutrition-Ambulatory Medical Nutrition Therapy, one week of Clinical Nutrition-Research Theory, six weeks of Community Nutrition: Public Health and School Nutrition and six weeks of Food Systems Administration.
The UWHC Dietetic Internship incorporates online advanced nutrition graduate level coursework in the form of the Capstone Certificate in Clinical Nutrition-Dietetic Internship with the University of Wisconsin-Madison. The first application cycle for this program will be in Spring 2015, for 12 interns. A minimum of 32 hours per week are spent in supervised practice during the Fall and Spring semesters. Extra time may be required to complete curriculum projects.
The UWHC Dietetic Internship Program has provided interns with academic excellence in a clinical setting since 1953. Over the past five years, 96 percent of our graduates have passed the registration exam on their first attempt. Additionally, many of our graduates have completed advanced degrees.
As a dietetic intern, you will acquire the skills necessary to pursue a variety of career opportunities in the nutrition profession. This is a comprehensive program in which dietetic interns actively learn and become competent in best-practice, patient- and family-focused nutrition care at a tertiary hospital providing all levels of medical care. The strength of this program lies in the high quality of knowledgeable preceptors providing supervised practice, usually within a one on one rotation experience. The overall learning experience is enhanced with graduate learning at the University of Wisconsin-Madison Nutritional Sciences Department. Credits are transferable to degree earning programs.
Your Future is Bright
The University of Wisconsin-Madison's Capstone Certificate in Clinical Nutrition-Dietetic Internship, tentative timeline:
- February 15, 2015: DICAS deadline
- February 15, 2015: Deadline for Submitting Computer Matching Information Online
- February 15, 2015: Apply to UW-Madison as a Special Student (no application fee) Continuing Studies Application Process
- Early April 2015: Notification and Applicant Appointment Day
- June 15, 2015: Program Begins
- June 15-August 7, 2015: UW-Madison Summer Session
- Advanced Clinical Nutrition: Critical Care and Nutrition Support (NS 650, 3 credits online)
- Advanced Clinical Nutrition: Pediatrics (NS 651, 3 credits online)
- Week of August 10, 2015: Orientation Week (Monday–Friday)
- August 10-May 20, 2015: Dietetic Internship (39 weeks):
- August 18-December 24, 2015: Nutrition and Dietetics I (NS 670, 3 credits)
- September 2-December 15, 2015: UW-Madison Fall Session
- Advanced Nutrition Counseling and Education (NS 652, 3 credits online)
- December 25, 2015-January 8, 2016: Break
- January 11-May 20, 2016: Nutrition and Dietetics II (NS 671, 3 credits)
- January 19-May 6, 2016: UW-Madison Spring Session
- Clinical Nutrition Research (NS 653, 3 credits online)
- May 20, 2016: Program Completion
- Application is required to:
- UW-Madison Capstone Program in Clinical Nutrition-Dietetic Internship
- D&D Digital Computer Matching.
- Applicants admitted to the program will be UW-Madison students and thus, responsible for tuition costs of the program. Tuition is based on current graduate student tuition at UW-Madison.
- The GRE is REQUIRED for admission.
- Coursework is online. Supervisory practice is on site at the University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics in Madison, Wisconsin, and related program affiliate locations.
The online Capstone Certificate in Clinical Nutrition (without the Dietetic Internship) is now available for 2014. It is designed for new graduates (prospective interns), current interns and experienced professionals seeking advanced clinical nutrition training. The Capstone Certificate in Clinical Nutrition may increase your chances of matching to competitive internship programs. The courses earn full graduate credit, which students may subsequently use in relevant graduate/professional degree programs at UW-Madison and other institutions.
The internship is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND). ACEND is recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) and the United States Department of Education (USDE). Upon successful completion of the Capstone Certificate in Clinical Nutrition-Dietetic Internship, graduates receive a Certificate of Program Completion and a Verification Statement of Dietetic Internship Completion, and are then eligible to take the Registration exam administered by the Commission on Dietetic Registration of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
The Dietetic Internship Program is currently granted accreditation by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND) of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics:
120 South Riverside Plaza, Suite 2000
Chicago, IL 60606-6995
Phone: (312) 899-0040, ext. 5400