Graduate Medical Education Office
Medical Licensure Requirements
For PG-3s and Above
In the State of Wisconsin, all physicians with two years of postgraduate training are required to be fully licensed. Your appointment letter lists acquisition of a medical license as a requirement prior to beginning your training program at UWHC.
Review the directions for the Online Application Service (OLAS) to apply for your Wisconsin Medical License. OLAS website
Information/documents needed before starting the online application:
- Medical school diploma
- List with dates of employment/training after medical school, do not leave gaps of more than 30 days between medical school graduation and starting residency/fellowship
- Read carefully the convictions and pending form, if you have have/had convictions or currently have pending charges such as alcohol violations, including underage drinking, drug violations be prepared to submit required documentation.
Medical License Renewal Dates:
- MD medical licenses expire October 31, in odd numbered years (e.g., 10/31/2015)
- DO medical licenses expire on February 28, in even numbered years (e.g., 2/28/2016)
Questions? Contact the Graduate Medical Education Office at (608) 263-0572 Option 0, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
Benefits - GME
- Benefits Summary (pdf)
- Comprehensive Health, Supplemental Dental and Vision Benefits
- GME Benefits and Services
- Life Insurance
- Long Term Disability (pdf)
- Retirement Benefits and Savings Plans
It is the objective of the University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics to maintain resident/fellow stipend levels at the mean of Midwest teaching hospitals. Annual stipend rates will be based on the mean levels reported in the Council of Teaching Hospitals annual survey and will be adjusted on a yearly basis as necessary.
Annual Stipend Rates for 2014-2015
- PG 1 - $55,347
- PG 2 - $57,393
- PG 3 - $59,524
- PG 4 - $61,714
- PG 5 - $63,947
- PG 6 - $66,114
- PG 7 - $68,122
Determination of Stipends
A resident/fellow's annual stipend is stated in the letter of appointment. The stipend level is determined by counting the number of years after receiving an MD or DO (or equivalent degree) that have been spent in a training program accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education that apply toward board certification in the current specialty. Residents may receive up to one additional stipend level for a chief resident year or non-accredited research year completed during their training at the University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics.
- Lifesaving Certification Requirements
- Safety and Infection Control Requirement Annual
- DEA Information
- Road to A Harrassment-Free Workplace
Employment requirements to be completed prior to start date:
- Acquisition of appropriate visa for the current training year (if applicable) by your start date
- Acquisition of Wisconsin medical license by your clinical start date (see Medical Licensure Information for details)
- Employment eligibility verification (I-9 form) within 3 days of your hire date to be coordinated by the GME Office
- Completed pre-employment health assessment, urine drug screen and TB test by your clinical start date. View Employee Health Assessment (pdf) for additional information.
- Completion of any additional training modules
- Compliance with CPR and other life-saving training (refer to policy 9.35) within the first three months of employment. View Lifesaving Certification Requirements
- Completion of the Background Information Disclosure (BID) form by your clinical start date. The form was included in your first mailing.
- No disqualifying offenses disclosed on the BID form or background check. There is no time limit for this requirement.
- Annual Safety and Infection Control within 30 days of your clinical start date. View Safety and Infection Control for more information.
- Completion of Health Link training (UWHC electronic medical records) and other computer training by your clinical start date
- Completion of Road to A Harrassment-Free Workplace session within first year of employment
If you don't find the policy you are looking for, log into UConnect and search for GME Policies under the UWHC Policies archives