Skip to Content
UW Health SMPH
American Family Children's Hospital

New Residents

Contact Information

Graduate Medical Education Office

(608) 263-0572



Department of Regulation and Licensing

Resident and Faculty Member Reviewing a DocumentWelcome to the University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics in Madison, Wisconsin.


The following information is intended for new residents to the UW Hospital and Clinics. If you cannot find what you are looking for, please contact the Graduate Medical Education Office.


Please select from the following:


Benefits - GME

Additional UWHC Benefits and Services




It is the objective of the University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics to maintain resident/fellow stipend levels at the mean of Midwest teaching hospitals. Annual stipend rates will be based on the mean levels reported in the Council of Teaching Hospitals annual survey and will be adjusted on a yearly basis as necessary.


Annual Stipend Rates for 2013-2014

  • PG 1 - $54,262
  • PG 2 - $56,267
  • PG 3 - $58,357
  • PG 4 - $60,503
  • PG 5 - $62,693
  • PG 6 - $64,818
  • PG 7 - $66,786

Determination of Stipends


A resident/fellow's annual stipend is stated in the letter of appointment. The stipend level is determined by counting the number of years after receiving an MD or DO (or equivalent degree) that have been spent in a training program accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education that apply toward board certification in the current specialty. Residents may receive up to one additional stipend level for a chief resident year or non-accredited research year completed during their training at the University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics.



Required Training

Employment Requirements


Employment requirements to be completed prior to start date:

  • Acquisition of appropriate visa for the current training year (if applicable) by your start date
  • Acquisition of Wisconsin medical license by your clinical start date (see Medical Licensure Information for details)
  • Employment eligibility verification (I-9 form) within 3 days of your hire date to be coordinated by the GME Office
  • Completed pre-employment health assessment, urine drug screen and TB test by your clinical start date. View Employee Health Assessment (pdf) for additional information.
  • Completion of any additional training modules
  • Compliance with CPR and other life-saving training (refer to policy 9.35) within the first three months of employment. View Lifesaving Certification Requirements
  • Completion of the Background Information Disclosure (BID) form by your clinical start date. The form was included in your first mailing.
  • No disqualifying offenses disclosed on the BID form or background check. There is no time limit for this requirement.
  • Annual Safety and Infection Control within 30 days of your clinical start date. View Safety and Infection Control for more information.
  • Completion of Health Link training (UWHC electronic medical records) and other computer training by your clinical start date
  • Completion of Road to A Harrassment-Free Workplace session within first year of employment 



If you don't find the policy you are looking for, log into UConnect and search for GME Policies under the UWHC Policies archives