Comprehensive Health and Supplemental Dental and Vision Benefits
This information refers to benefits and compensation for UW Hospital and Clinics residents and fellows. For information about Family Medicine residency and fellowship benefits and compensation, go to the UW Department of Family Medicine and Community Health site.
ACGME Residents and fellows of UW hospital and Clinics may choose from a variety of comprehensive health plans, including fee-for-service plans and HMOs.
For more information please see:
The It's Your Choice - Decision Guide provides key information to assist in choosing a health plan. The It's Your Choice - Reference Guide contains technical information such as the full certificate of coverage and federal notifications.
Unity Health Insurance
Unity Health Insurance You work hard every day to deliver world-class care to our patients. Don't you deserve the same world-class care? Learn more about Unity Health Insurance. Why choose Unity?
- Fast, friendly and accurate customer service. Contact Unity Customer Service through the message center in MyChart, online Chat with Us or by telephone Monday through Friday from 7am to 7pm.
- UW Health's 1,200 physicians.
- UW Hospital, rated the No. 1 hospital in Wisconsin three consecutive years by U.S. News and World Report.
- World-class pediatricians at American Family Children's Hospital.
- A broad network of local providers.
- Market-leading wellness programs. Earn up to $200 per household for participating in Fitness First & More. Plus, receive a $150 incentive for Well Wisconsin.
- High overall member satisfaction.
- A nationally ranked health plan that has received "Excellent"; Accreditation status from the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA) consistently since 2002.
- One of the nation’s top 50 health insurance plans for 10 consecutive years according to the NCQA's Private Health Insurance Plan Rankings, 2014-2015.
All HMO plans include:
- Choice of single or family coverage
- Coverage for spouse/domestic partner and eligible dependents to age 26 available. Tax implications may apply.
- Routine and Preventive Services covered at 100%
- Includes physical examinations and well baby-care
- Illness or injury related services covered at 90%
- Employee responsible for 10% coinsurance
- Out-of-pocket maximum (OOPM) expense: $500 individual/$1,000 family
- Emergency room copayment: $75
- Copayment waived if admitted to the hospital
- All services accumulated covered at 90%
- Employee 10% coinsurance will accumulate towards the OOPM
- Vision Services: Includes one routine eye exam per year
- Prescription drug co-pays to a maximum out of pocket expense of $410 per individual or $820 per family.
- $5 generic
- $15 brand name brand
- $35 non-formulary
- $50 specialty drugs
- Includes basic dental coverage
- 100% Basic coverage for teeth cleanings and X-rays
- Deductibles may apply for Basic services such as fillings
- Must use Dental Provider associated with the HMO of choice
- HMO premiums effective 1/1/15
- Single - $46.00 per month
- Family - $115.00 per month
Supplemental Delta Dental Insurance
Delta Dental provides supplemental dental coverage with a $25-$50 annual deductible that offers a benefit maximum of $1,000 per person per year. Coverage begins on the first of the month following 30 days of employment.
- Delta Dental Application (pdf)
- 100% coverage for diagnostic and preventive services
- 80% coverage for of basic services, including fillings, emergency treatment, or sealants
- 50% coverage for major services, including crowns, bridges or dentures
- 50% coverage for orthodontics to age 19 (Lifetime Maximum of $1,250 per dependent)
Additional benefit information can be found in the Supplemental Delta Dental Summary (pdf).
Supplemental Vision Insurance
The VSP Vision Insurance plan provides supplemental vision coverage for eye exams, lenses, frames and contact lenses. Coverage begins on the first of the month following 30 days of employment.
- 100% coverage on a comprehensive vision examination by a network optometrist or ophthalmologist every calendar year after $10 co-pay
- 100% coverage on single vision, lined bifocal, and lined trifocal lenses and scratch resistant coating every calendar year after $25 co-pay
- Coverage on frames (up to $130 allowance) every 24 months after $25 co-pay. If frames and lenses are purchased in the same year, only one $25 co-pay applies.
- Coverage on contact lenses (up to $105 allowance for contact and the contact lens exam) every calendar year ONLY if electing contact lenses instead of lenses or frames
- Out-of-network reimbursement is available in the below amounts (contact VSP at 1-800-400-4569 before seeing a non-VSP provider):
- Contact lenses up to $105
- Eye exam up to $40
- Single vision lenses up to $33
- Lined bifocal lenses up to $50
- Lined trifocal lenses up to $66
- Frames up to $45
- Discounted rates on laser vision correction available from contracted facilities
- Additional discounts for prescription glasses, sunglasses and contacts at VSP participating providers
Epic Major Medical and Dental - Supplemental
EPIC Insurance provides excess health, supplemental dental and Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) benefits. EPIC Insurance is intended to supplement, not replace, the primary health coverage.
- Hospital and Surgery Benefit-provides Inpatient hospital and/or Outpatient surgery indemnity benefits.
- Dental services not covered or partially covered by the primary health insurance.
- Accidental Death & Dismemberment that provides a lump sum benefit for accidental death or specific life-altering injuries of the employee, employee's spouse or children.
Employee Reimbursement Account (ERA)
The employee reimbursement account allows employees to pay for medical and child care expenses with pre-tax income. Resident and Fellows have a 30 day deadline to enroll in this benefit. The plan is based on expenses incurred during the calendar year.
Medical Reimbursement includes medically necessary expenses not covered by health, dental, or vision insurance such as:
- Prescription co-pays
- Major dental expenses
- Glasses or contacts
- Refractive surgery
The Dependent Reimbursement account is for child or dependent care up to $5,000 per year, and up to $2,500 for non-covered medical and dental expenses. The minimum annual contribution is $100. Expenses for daycare as well as before and after school care of children may be reimbursed.
For more information, please refer to the 2015 FSA Enrollment Booklet (pdf)