UW Health Pharmacy Technician Training Program: Learn, Practice, Do
The UW Health Pharmacy Technician Training Program in Madison, Wisconsin, has been designed to provide you with the knowledge and skills to be successful in your career as a pharmacy technician.
Our philosophy is to learn in a classroom environment, practice through simulated labs, and then do these things in actual patient-centered pharmacies.
What does a pharmacy technician learn?
- Pharmacology for Technicians
- Pharmacy Law and Regulations
- Sterile and Non-sterile Compounding
- Pharmaceutical Calculations
- Medication Safety
- Pharmacy Quality Assurance
- Medication Order Entry and Fill Process
- Pharmacy Inventory Management
- Pharmacy Billing and Reimbursement
- Pharmacy Information Systems Usage and Application
- Professional Development
What does a pharmacy technician practice?
UW Health Pharmacy Technician trainees learn essentially everything they will do as a pharmacy technician in a simulated setting:
- Measure, mix, count, label and record amounts of dosages of medications
- Receive written prescriptions or refill requests and verify information is correct
- Maintain proper storage and security conditions for drugs
- Fill bottles with prescribed medications, and type and affix appropriate labels
- Assist customers by answering simple questions, locating items or referring them to the pharmacist for medication information
- Price and file filled prescriptions
- Clean and maintain equipment and work areas
- Establish and maintain patient profiles, including lists of medications, taken by individual patients
- Order, label and stock medications and supplies
- Enter and maintain inventory into the computer system
- Sterile product preparation
- Prepare and process medical insurance claim forms and records
- Mix pharmaceutical preparations
- Operate cash register and accept payment
- Deliver medications and supplies to patients
- Price stock and mark items for sale
- Maintain and merchandise over-the-counter medications, products and supplies
- Answer telephones, responding to questions or requests when appropriate
What does a pharmacy technician do?
UW Health Pharmacy Technician trainees put everything they have learned and simulated into practice in actual patient-centered pharmacies.