Turkey Pot Pie
- 2 tablespoons canola or olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- black pepper to taste
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 2 large cloves of garlic, minced or chopped
- 1 large can (14.5 oz.) lower-sodium, fat-free chicken broth
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1½ cup milk, 1%
- 3 large carrots, cleaned and sliced into coins
- 2 medium potatoes (could use sweet potatoes or parsnips for different twist), cut into bite size pieces
- 2 cups green beans, chopped
- 4-5 cups leftover turkey breast meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1-2 teaspoons of your choice of herb seasoning, such as sage, thyme or rosemary
- 4 sheets of phyllo dough, thawed from frozen
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in a large skilet over medium heat. Cook onion and celery until onions are translucent, no more than 4-5 minutes. Stir in garlic, 1/4 teaspoon salt and flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 1-2 minutes. Gradually stir in broth and milk. Cook, stirring, until mixture comes to a boil.
- Add potatoes, carrots, green beans, remaining salt and pepper to taste. Cover; cook on low to medium heat, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the turkey, parsley and your choice of spices. Spoon mixture into baking casserole dish (about 3 quart size that has been lightly oiled or coated with cooking spray).
- Unroll thawed phyllo. Place one sheet on top of turkey mixture; lightly coat with cooking spray. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of parmesan cheese. Repeat layering. Work the edges of the phyllo inside the rim of the baking dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until filling is simmering. You may want to place the casserole dish on a baking sheet to catch drips. Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving.
Saturated fat: 2g