The Go Red Makeover Challenge brought together three women from the Madison, Wisconsin area to learn about heart disease and what lifestyle changes they can make to prevent it.
During the challenge, the participants came together to prepare and enjoy a heart-healthy meal. Each participant brought their own recipe to share.
Chef: Amanda Frigge Ruplinger, Go Red Makeover participant
- Olive Oil or Grape seed oil (we used one infused with garlic)
- McCormick's Garlic Pepper Grinder Mix (I am sure there are other varieties, but my family and friends love this version. Also, this has salt so we did not add any extra)
- McCormick's Peppercorn Medley Grinder Mix (any freshly ground pepper would work)
- Italian Herbs with Garlic seasoning mix
- Preheat oven to about 450 degrees
- Break off the woody ends of the asparagus
- Place asparagus in a single layer on a cookie sheet
- Sprinkle seasoning to taste ( we probably used about 1-1.5 teaspoons of the Italian Herb mix and 1/4 teaspoon of each of the grinders)
- Drizzle a small amount of the oil over the top of the asparagus (we probably used 2-3 teaspoons of oil)
- Toss the veggies to get them well coated (Clean hands or tongs work)
- Place in the oven near the heating element and bake about 20 minutes
It is also easy to add other veggies or seasonings to add variety to this dish. Some of my favorites are adding a variety of bell peppers (red, yellow, green), onions, and carrots. Fresh garlic is also tasty if you want even more garlic flavor (cut in large slices or keep as cloves for subtle flavor and mince it for more intense flavor).
Also, some other great seasoning ideas are any of the Mrs. Dash's mixes. (Warning, the Chipotle flavored one has a good deal of heat so use sparingly.
Have you ever tasted edamame? Try it you might like it.
Our Go Red Makeover bloggers weren't too sure about eating new and healthy foods like hummus or asparagus. What new healthy food have you tried lately? Do you have any secret ways of sneaking healthy foods into your family's diet?