Red and Green Bell Pepper Boats
Flavorful toasted almonds and zesty lemon-pepper contrast nicely with crisp bell pepper pieces in this festive appetizer.
- 1 medium green bell pepper
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 4 ounces low-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon salt-free lemon pepper seasoning blend
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Cut each bell pepper in half lengthwise; discard the stems, ribs, and seeds. Cut each half into six pieces. Arrange the pieces with the skin side down on a decorative serving platter. Set aside.
- In a medium skillet, dry-roast the almonds over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes, or until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Transfer 1 tablespoon of the almonds to a small plate and reserve for garnishing. Process the remaining almonds in a food processor or blender for 15 to 20 seconds, or until finely ground.
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, lemon pepper seasoning blend, and lemon juice with an electric mixer for 1 to 2 minutes, or until creamy. Add the ground almonds and beat for 10 seconds, or until combined.
- Spoon the mixture into a piping bag fitted with a wide star or round tip. Or snip the corner off a resealable plastic bag (a plastic freezer bag works well) and spoon in the mixture. Pipe about 1 teaspoon of the mixture onto each bell pepper piece. Garnish with the sliced almonds.
Total Fat: 4.g
Saturated Fat: 1.5 g
Cholesterol: 8 mg
Sodium: 43 mg
Carbohydrates: 3 g
Fiber: 1 g
Sugar: 1 g
Protein: 2 g
This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association’s Go Red For Women movement. Recipe copyright © 2006 by the American Heart Association. Look for other delicious recipes in American Heart Association cookbooks, available from booksellers everywhere.